Green L.A. is Hiring: Living Streets Project Coordinator
22 April 2010
Green L.A. Transportation Work Group’s Living Streets Campaign is hiring! The following is a 2-year position funded by a grant from the Centers for Disease Control to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. It’s part of the county’s RENEW (Renew Environments for Nutrition, Exercise, and Wellness) initiative – which includes reducing obesity – by doing things like building places where people will walk and bike every day.
The project coordinator will work with the Community Redevelopment Agency, city, Metro, community groups, and residents to create complete streets projects in Boyle Heights. Applications due Friday May 7th! Full job announcement text below – or nicely formated pdf here.
Title: Boyle Heights Living Streets Initiative
Job Description: Green LA Coalition (GLA) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Project Coordinator for the Boyle Heights Living Streets Initiative. This position is funded throughthe Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s RENEW grant program and is expected to
run through March 2012.
Boyle Heights Living Streets Initiative: The Boyle Heights Living Streets Initiative will increase people’s ability to safely and pleasantly
cycle and walk in Boyle Heights by implementing 3 prototype Living Streets near the Mariachi Plaza and Soto Gold Line stations. Currently, City of Los Angeles’ standard street improvement projects do not give any special consideration to cyclists and pedestrians. This Initiative will take advantage
of the opportunity afforded by approximately $25 million allocated through various grants and funding programs to design and install street improvements near these Gold Line stations according to Living Streets principles. GLA is partnering with the Community Redevelopment Agency of Los Angeles (CRA/LA) to lay the groundwork for 3 prototype Living Streets designed with strong community participation. This Initiative will additionally develop a Blueprint document and pass necessary policies so that Living Streets can be replicated throughout the city. An inter-agency task force and community stakeholder task force will be created. For more information on Living Streets see http://livingstreetsla.wordpress.com/
The Coordinator will work in collaboration with the Community Redevelopment Agency of Los Angeles, Green LA Transportation Work Group and the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition.
Ideal candidates will have a background in urban planning or design, civil engineering, public policy, or architecture/landscape architecture, experience in implementing public improvements, especially in the city of Los Angeles, experience in conducting outreach and community meetings in an area of cultural and demographic diversity, and familiarity with Boyle Heights. The position will be part of a broader policy picture aiming to improve the health/wellness and mobility for the City of Los Angeles.
Office Location: 1916 E. First Street, Los Angeles, CA 90033
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop and pass policies to support the adoption and practice of Living Streets tenets in Boyle Heights and in Los Angeles in general
• Coordinate several existing and funded street improvement programs in Boyle Heights, with the goal of maximizing Living Streets qualities
• Enhance the level of community input in the street improvement programs by working with existing community groups as appropriate and/or forming a new organization for community stakeholders.
• Improve the community’s understanding of the Living Streets paradigm and related health, planning, and transportation issues
• Assist in conducting community meetings leading to conceptual plans for the 3 prototype streets.
• Coordinate the input of appropriate Los Angeles city departments to implement Living Streets tenets in the Boyle heights street improvement programs through participation in existing city
committees and/or forming a city working group for that purpose.
• Create a Living Streets Blueprint/how to guide for each prototype to document the various challenges and institutional barriers associated with implementing Living Streets and to highlight strategies to overcome such challenges and the solutions that were developed.
• Manage and administer the Boyle Heights Living Streets program reporting and evaluation.
• Graduation from an accredited 4-year college or university with a degree in Planning, Urban Design, Public Policy, Civil Engineering, Landscape Architecture or other related fields or equivalent experience.
• At least 2 years experience in community outreach, policy advocacy and/or planning and implementing public improvements programs in a large urban jurisdiction, and a total of 5 years professional work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Flexible collaborator with leadership skills who values transparency
• Ability to effectively work with diverse interest groups to find consensus and move innovative ideas forward
• Out of the box, creative thinker
• Strong understanding and comprehension of the Complete Streets/Living Streets concepts
• Experience planning and implementing public improvements projects such as street improvements, recreational facilities, or public infrastructure. Experience with the City of Los Angeles is a plus.
• Excellent organizational skills. Strong attention to detail.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
• Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision.
• Strong ability to present and convey policy recommendations to a government policy making body such as: a City Council, Planning Commission, Transportation and Parking Commission.
• Strong ability to present and convey policy recommendations to the public who reside in a low income community of color.
• Willing to work on other tasks as it relates to the goals and objectives of this project.
• Passionate, articulate and well versed about creating livable urban places
• Willing to work evenings and weekends as required.
• Conversational Spanish language skills highly desired.
• Familiarity with Boyle Heights or similar communities highly desired.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, condition of physical or mental handicap, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of federal and State laws.
Salary Range: $60,000 to $65,000 annually with benefits, depending on experience/background.
Interested candidates please send cover letter and resume to:
Green LA Coalition
1000 North Alameda Street, Suite 240
Los Angeles, CA 90012
ATTN: Stephanie Taylor, Interim Managing Director
staylor [at] greenlacoalition.org
By: Friday, May 7, 2010
For More Information contact:
Stephanie Taylor, Interim Managing Director
staylor [at] greenlacoalition.org